Thursday, October 14, 2010

Building a Schoolhouse, Ft. Dauphin


This past week was mostly spent hammering, sawing, and carrying planks of wood between work sites. We are constructing a school that is 18 meters by 6 meters in area, and it requires a lot of work. The school will provide education and a sensibly comfortable learning environment for thousands of children in the coming years. We spend 5 hours per day under the sun, and the amount of sweat I produce even walking 100 yards is obsene. Fortunately there is a consistent supply of treated water so we stay well hydrated. I am excited to see the final product, and even after the first week of construction I feel very accomplished. There is a real purpose to every step in the process. Simple tasks such as hammering nails and sawing wood take on a substantial importance here; we are doing something that will greatly benefit this community, and that makes me very happy. As an aside, today I ate goat tongue and it was delicious. It was cooked in its original form, long and curved, and part of the throat was still attached. It tasted like a lamb chop and was surprisingly tender. I have been really pleased with the quality of the meat here--it is a real treat. We swam at the surfing beach today, I think I might have to try surfing some time soon. I'm getting better at conversing with the Malagasy children, and that is a a lot of fun. They are incredibly friendly. Samsara! (Cheers)

1 comment:

  1. sounds awesome jess, but i could have done without the tongue description. hope you're staying fat enough! remember that when you're full, it's always imperative to eat more. love the fowtows!!!!! peace and love, gabi

    ReplyDelete